Wednesday, April 20, 2005

(xiii.)

Lorelei sat on the recliner, giggling.

"Goddamnit, Lor, that wasn't funny!"
"Actually, I thought it was hysterical."
"Yeah, you didn't see me have a heart attack and a nervous break down -- at the same fucking time."
"You're overreacting."
"No, I'm not."
"Fine, you're not."

Midge reared back, with Lorelei's katana in her hand. "What, that's it? Just 'fine'?"
"I really don't care, Midge. You want to worry about me, that's fine, you be my guest."
"What is your problem?"
"Them, Midge. They are my problem."
"What?"
"The JCIIE. Okay? They're my problem."
"Who's the--"
"The JCIIE?"
"...yeah."
"You didn't hear this from me."
"Okay."

Lorelei looked around, before leaning foreward. "Alright. The Joint Commission on International and Interstate Espionage--"
"Wait. 'Interstate Espionage'? What, is New York spying on Ohio?"
"Uh, I couldn't tell you, not my area of expertise. At any rate, I don't work for them. I work for Omnivion. They're a privately owned organization, and they do their own thing. All of a sudden, the JCIIE, is all kinds of, 'No, you can't do that! No! We have to have Senate hearings, and expose you!', which isn't a terribly good thing, because the Senate hearings are headed by Senator Morton--"
"Who?"
"Well, it doesn't matter who he is, the important thing is that he can be bought. The real problem is Chet. Anyway, the JCIIE is now dragging in people from all the privately-held corporations in, uh, this industry. That's why I'm off on this road trip. 'Cause all the people that hid out in one place were found, and dragged off to Washington, whereas I'm never in the same place for a long time."

Midge thought for a moment.

"Y'know what the sad part of all of this is?"
"What's that?"
"I can see why your roommate would think you were completely insane. I can see it. And my sister-in-law doesn't have a nice, soft linen closet for me to lock you up in so you don't hurt yourself, or others."
"...the trunk of the car, maybe? I mean, if you unpack everything into the trunk--"
"...y'know, for someone as fucking crazy as you, that was brilliant."


[chapter xiv]

No comments: