Sunday, May 15, 2005

(xvi.)

She stretched out, in the back seat of the car.

"I like this one. This is nice."

Midge sat, in the passenger seat, staring back at her friend.

"Why do you need a new car? What's wrong with the one you have?"
"It's mine."
"You sound paranoid again."
"Oh. That's right. You don't beleive me about Chet," Lorelei added, sitting up, and tapping on the ceiling.

"So, ladies, what do you think?" The salesman blurted out.
"I don't want red. D'ya have one that isn't red?"
"You don't like the color red?"
"Well, I like it just fine, as a color, but, if I'm not mistaken, a red car is three times more likely to get pulled over than any other color car."

"Lorelei--"
"How 'bout blue?"
"Lorelei!"
"What?"

Midge stood up, and motioned for Lorelei to get out of the car. "How're you going to pay for this?"
"Um..."
"Lor..."
"Well, actually, I was devising that plan in my head."
"You were?"
"Yeah."
"Why don't we just get a used one?"
"That's what Chet doesn't expect me to do, and, therefore, expects me to do."
"...wait, what?!"

Lorelei smiled. "Reverse psychology."

"So, um, are you ladies interested in taking a test drive?"

"You get our stuff -- to, uh, see if it'll fit in the trunk. I'll go talk to the guy."
"All of our stuff?"
"I have a plan."

Lorelei turned and smiled. "Yeah. That'd be great! I don't suppose we could, y'know, put some stuff in the trunk, just to see how big it is?"
"...No, actually, that's not a problem," the salesman said, calmly, as Midge returned with a duffel bag, and a suitcase.

Lorelei very calmly took the suitcase from her, and put it on the back seat. "C'mon," she said, climbing into the car. Midge sat into the drivers' seat, nervously, and adjusted it. She honestly had no idea what Lorelei was planning.

The salesman climbed into the passenger side, and shut the door tightly. "So, once around the block?"
"I'm sorry, what'd you say your name was?"
"Uh, it's, uh, Frank."
"I'm Lorelei, and this is Midge."
"H-hi."

Lorelei opened the clasps on the suitcase. As the car began rolling forward, she declared, "Hey, Midge, lock the doors."

"What are you trying to do?" Frank suddenly blurted out.
Lorelei opened the suitcase, to reveal her katana. She unsheathed it, and held the blade to his neck.

"We're stealing the car, and we're kidnapping you." She smiled, evilly. "You wouldn't happen to have a problem with that, would you?"


[chapter xvii.]

No comments: