Friday, June 17, 2005

(xxi.)

Frank trembled. He shifted, nervously, on the sofa.

He had no idea what it was that he had been dragged into.

"Okay, now listen," Midge explained, calmly, "Lorelei is out of her mind. She really is. It was her idea to kidnap you. See, normally, I'd let you go, but, then you'd go to the police, and it'd get messy... so you're gonna stay with us awhile, okay?"

Frank nodded, calmly. "You really think Lorelei's crazy?"
"She's about as paranoid as they come. Something about the Senate something-or-other, and how they're out to get her."
"Is that why she went to get the hotel room by herself?"

Midge shrugged. "I guess so. Yeah. That, and the fact that I don't have any money."

Out of the corner of his eye, Frank could see Lorelei at the front counter of the motel.

"So, wait, she trusts you?"
"I... I guess so."
"Oh."
"Why?"
"No, I mean, she's not afraid you're out to get her?"
"Well, no, I mean, she just knows that I don't believe her and that I think she's insane."
"Oh."

Lorelei came meandering back, motel room keys in hand.

"Y'know, Midge thinks you're crazy," Frank suddenly blurted out.
"Yeah, I know. Most people do. It's okay," Lorelei declared, cheerfully, as she handed a key over to Midge.


[chapter xxii.]

No comments: