Friday, July 08, 2005

(xxv.)

"You don't find this odd?" Frank screamed to Lorelei.
"No."
"Well, okay, maybe you don't, but you don't think anyone else will?"
"No, not really."

Frank stared at Lorelei as she laid on the roof of the tiny roadside motel, trying to cut the rope. Frank and Midge waited, underneath.
"Good thing it was only a two-story motel, y'know it? Otherwise it would've been hard for us to do this without getting noticed, or anything--"
"What time is it, anyway?"

Frank looked at his watch. "My watch says it's about 6:30."
"So, like, no one's up yet."
"Right."

"I think I almost got it!"

"I don't know, this is just so... awkaward. I mean, I just wanted to sell cars and shit, and here I am, in another state altogether, waiting for a complete stranger to get a dead guy off the roof, and it's just like--"
"Hey, man, I have a question."
"Yeah?"
"Okay, if we ever get stopped by the cops, I really don't want to go to jail. And, see, I was thinking that, y'know, we would tell them that we were both scared of her. 'Cause, I mean, seriously, the girl--"
"But, before this, I don't think she ever really did anything wrong, y'know? She kept it to herself. We could say that we were completely blindsided."

"Almost... there!"

"You've been with her for two days. I've been with her for three weeks."
"But still. I don't think she really would've done something like this."
"She wants to hide the body."
"She wants to give the poor guy a proper burial."

"Got it!"

The body fell, limply, and with a sickening whump.

"Great. I'm glad to see you guys actually caught him, y'know?"




[chapter xxvi]

No comments: