Friday, June 02, 2006

(l.)

"So... why'd we have to book out of there so fast?"
"...uh... because I haven't done that in a while."
"So, you fucked up, and the police are on the way."
"No."

Midge stared incredulously at Lorelei.

"So..."
"Okay, so, I got into the vault, no real big problems, right? And then, like, right in the middle of the vault, I just had this major panic attack, and I just... I lost it."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I nearly went and set off the alarm on purpose."
"What?! W-why?!"
"I- I dunno. Something just kinda clicked in my head, and I just... It kinda made sense in my head when I was in there, y'know? Like, it seemed like a good thing to do--"
"--Lor..."
"So, I was just standing there, and, I like, I must've completely zoned out. I thought I was standing there for like an hour. Then I remembered why I broke in in the first place, and it was like, right, yeah, money, Joint Commission, ice cream truck, Midge is waiting, okay, let's do this."

Lorelei put her feet up on the dashboard.

"It all just came back, like the past month, just in a split-second or two."

Midge nodded. "So... where are we going, anyway?"
"Anywhere but here, Midge. Anywhere but here."



[chapter li.]

No comments: