Monday, August 13, 2007

(xc.)

"C'mon, c'mon, don't freak out on me, car," Pierpont mumbled, easing the car out of the bushes and onto the service road.

"Okay, just a couple more miles, car, just to--"

Deedilodo didilodo dadilodo ding.

He sighed, and reached for his cellphone.

Deedilodo didilodo dadilodo ding.

Deedilodo didilodo--

"Hullo?"
"Pierpont?"
"Yeah?"
"It- It's Lor."
"Yeah. Is everything okay?"
"Y-Yeah. I, um, I just, uh... I was gonna ask you the same question."

Pierpont thought for a moment.

"Well, yeah, everything's fine. I just careened off a hill, was all."
"Wait, what?"
"Yeah, no, it's cool. Car's in good shape. I'm almost in D.C."
"But- but, you--"
"Yeah, no, I'm fine."
"But--"
"It's cool. I'm almost there. So, I'll meet you there?"

Lorelei stammered.

"You-- you're okay, though? I mean, aside from the hill part? You're totally okay?"
"Well, yeah. Why?"
"Well, I just kinda got worried."

Pierpont chuckled.

"Yeah, no, it's cool. I'm fine. Just, uh, y'know what? Meet me at down at the place -- you know the one I mean."
"Oh- okay. Yeah. That place. Cool."

There was a click on the other end of the line.

Pierpont tossed the cellphone into the passenger side seat, and shook his head. "What the fuck was that about?"

No comments: