Thursday, August 16, 2007

(xcii.)

"Little girl, why are you following me?"

The little girl smiled. "I don't have any where I have to go today, but you do. And my mommy always takes me with her when she has somewhere to go--"

"Listen to me, little girl, I am about to kill someone. Do you understand? I am going to cause a man's death."

"Okay," she calmly replied.

"What do you mean, 'okay'? Have you ever seen a man die? Have you ever even been to a funeral?"
"No, but my mommy squashes bugs all the time. That's the same thing, right?"

Mister Aisquith sighed.

"No. Not at all."
"Well, why not?"
"Okay, look, go run along home to your mommy. I have to go to work--"
"Killing?"
"Yes. Killing."
"Who're you gonna kill?"
"A man who's trying to cheat the government out of taxes."
"Would you still kill him if he gave you the taxes?"
"I... uh, I don't know, actually."
"Why not?"
"Well, no one's ever tried to do it that way."
"Why not?"
"I- I don't know. I guess most people don't keep money on hand just incase they have to pay the guy that the IRS sent to kill them."
"Why not?"
"It's not really the kind of expense you plan for, really."
"Why not?"

Mister Aisquith shook his head. "Okay, y'know what? Enough. No more questions."

No comments: