Friday, June 23, 2006

(liii.)

"So, where do you suppose we go?"
"Let's... I dunno. Let's go back to New York."
"I know I'm going to regret this, but... what's in New York?"

Lorelei rolled down the window.

"Well, the Omnivion corporate offices were there. But now it may-or-may-not be filing for bankruptcy--"
"--So, you want to stop in and see your old boss."
"I just want to let him know I'm not dead."
"I can see that. Anything else you want to do?"
"Well... I need a new sword. Probably a machete."
"Okay."
"And we should go to D.C."
"We could just go to D.C, and then you could call your boss."

An evil smile crept across Lorelei's face.

"I know exactly how to get Pierpont's attention."
"You do?"
"Yup. C'mon."
"You can't just, y'know, call him?"
"Well, I guess I could do that too... but this is easier. And less... Chet finding out I'm alive. And less Muffy getting pissed at him. And me. And stuff. This just works out better."
"What're you going to do?"
"Pull over at the next road-side rest stop."
"We passed the exit--"
"--Go over the grass--"
"--I can't do tha--"
"--You're in a fuckin' police car! And we're technically dead! You can do whatever the hell you want! Pull over here! Right here! Break in the trees! You're gonna miss--"

Midge jerked the wheel hard, and the car skidded up onto the grass, through the break in the trees, across the exit ramp, through another break in another set of trees, and into the parking lot.

"--it."
"No I'm not," she said, turning off the ignition. "So what's this brilliant plan of yours?"

Lorelei pulled out her tattered wallet.

She sifted through the contents, before pulling out an American Express card.

"Isn't that- that's that guy's card!"
"Yup. It's Pierpont's."
"But--"

Lorelei smirked.

"I can't call him myself, 'cause then Chet will know I'm alive. And he'll try to kill me again. Which would kinda suck."
"...then, how--"
"--Pierpont does not actualy carry his American Express card. I do. It was an emergency thing from... aw, shit, that was from that time in Bangkok--"
"--Lor. I really don't care."
"Right. Anyway, it kinda expired last... well, it expired a good six months ago, so when we go to pay, they'll call him, to tell him that we tried to pay with his expired card."
"This isn't legal, is it?"
"Technically speaking... no."



[chapter liv.]

No comments: