Saturday, August 19, 2006

(lx.)

"See? I told you it'd be fun."

The little silver car sped down the highway with its top down.

"Okay, so, now what?"
"Well," Lorelei began, "...exactly where did we say we were going?"
"I dunno. You said you wanted to go to D.C?"
"Well, yeah. I want to see what happened to Frank."
"Lor, Frank's dead."

Lorelei turned and looked at Midge. "But... so are we."
"You really think he got out of the truck?"
"I... I dunno. That's why I want to go to D.C. I mean, I kinda feel bad about dragging him into this--"
"Well, what about me?"

Lorelei shifted her weight back, and put her head against the little headrest. She watched the puffy white clouds sift by.

"Well... you at least had the option to turn me down. I wasn't holding you at sword-point."
"But, you never bothered to tell me anything about the Interstate Espionage Committee--"
"The Joint Commission on International and Interstate--"
"Yeah."

Lorelei chuckled faintly. "Yeah. But then you never would've come along for the ride."
"Why'd you need me here anyway?"
"Honestly?"
"Yeah."

Lorelei sat up. "Well, first off, I needed someone who can drive at less than double the speeed limit. I mean, that always helps--"
"But, wait, you drove the police car--"
"...and I fucking floored it. I don't know how to drive slower than ninety."
"How could you have possibly passed your drivers' test?"
"I don't think I ever actually did."
"You... wait, what?"
"Yeah. Now that I think about it, all the driver's licenses I have are fake."



[chapter lxi.]

No comments: