Saturday, September 30, 2006

(lxvi.)

Senator Morton leaned against the car's door, sipping coffee out of a cardboard cup.

He waited.

He looked around, at the parking lot.

He checked his watch, and then looked around again.

When he heard footsteps, he turned suddenly -- almost spilling his coffee -- only to find the Speaker of the House idly meandering towards his Lexus.

"Hey, Morty! Way to go on that Federal Highway Spending bill. That was impressive."
"Uh... thanks."
"Hey, me and some of the guys are going down to the place -- you know the one I mean. You want to come with?"
"Uh... actually... I'm waiting for one of my, uh, constituents, y'know? I said I'd meet him here."
"Okay. Whatever man."

The Speaker of the House hopped into his car, and sped off.

Senator Morton took another sip of his coffee.

There was a silence. A still, stifling silence.

He expected there to be more footsteps, but there were none.

Slowly, inconspicuously, he reached into his coatpocket, and pulled out his cellphone. He scrolled through the saved numbers, before coming upon the one labelled "Chet".

He pressed "Okay", and held the phone to his ear.

He waited.

"Hello? Senator, hey, I'm in the parking lot, but I don't see you anywhere--"
"Are you in the right parking lot?"
"...uh, that's a good question. Now that I think about it, I dunno."
"Okay. What do you see?"

There was a pause.

"Chet? What do you see?"
"...uh... not you."


[chapter lxvii.]

No comments: