Sunday, November 26, 2006

(lxxiv.)

The television cast a dim glow over the rest of the room.

Pierpont and Muffy were curled up in a corner of the sofa.

Muffy looked up at Pierpont."Why do you still watch the news?" she asked, leaning her head against his chest.

"What do you mean?"
"I mean, it's just so depressing."
"Yeah, that's 'cause the world sucks."
"...So, why do you still watch the News, then?"
"I dunno. I guess it's 'cause I can't find any of the people I used to work with, so now I have to depend on the TV for, y'know, stuff."
"But--"

Ring.

"Hang on, I got it."

Ring.

Ri--

"Hello?"
"Uh, I don't think I have the right number. I'm looking for J. Pierpont Brandenbury. Is he around?"
"Yeah. He's here, hang on."

Muffy handed the phone to Pierpont. "It's for you."


He took the handset from her, and mumbled a half-hearted "hullo" into the mouthpiece.

"Pierpont? It's Lor."
"Lor? What's up?"
"You don't actually want me to answer that."
"I don't?"
"No."
"...Oh."
"Listen, can I get a favor from you?"
"...a favor? What kind of favor?"
"Any kind. Anything you've got in your magical bag of tricks."

There was an awkward pause.

"Lor, Is everything okay?"
"Let's put it this way. My arm is in a sling, and until two hours ago, I was bleeding profusely out of a hole in my shoulder."

There was another silence.

"Pierpont?"
"You're in D.C.?"
"Yeah--"
"I'll be there in... I don't know. In a little bit. Don't make yourself too conspicuous."


[chapter lxxv.]

No comments: