Friday, December 29, 2006

(lxxix.)

The silver convertable rushed down the empty street.

"Hey, slow down a bit."
"Fuck that, I'm getting out of here."
"Can you even see anything?"
"Well, yeah. I mean, some. A little."
"Okay, look, I don't think anything's going to happen, a'right? There's way too much fog around for them to do anything stupid. You can't see five feet in front of you."

Midge turned the steering wheel hard, and the car followed.

"Look, I don't care," Midge declared, "All I know is I don't want to stick around when your friend Chet decides he wants to try to kill you again."
"But--"
"Shhh! No. No arguements."

An awkward silence filled the tiny car.

"Can you actually see anything in front of you?"
"Nope."
"So, the headlights aren't doing anything?"
"They make the fog brighter."
"That... doesn't sound helpful."

An almost ethereal figure suddenly appeared in the headlight-illuminated fog. Midge hit the breaks, but not until it had already hit the hood of the car.

Lorelei opened the door, and leaned out.

"Are... are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm good. I just, uh... ow. Gimme a minute," the figure mumbled.
"You sure?"
"Yeah, I'll be fine," he said, as he rolled off the hood of the car.

Midge leapt out of the car and hurried to the newly-formed dent in the hood.

"Dude, seriously, I didn't see you. You like came out of nowhere and I didn't mean to..." she began, before trailing off.

The stared at him blankly for a minute.

She tilted her head, and squinted, before blurting out, "Frank?"



[chapter lxxx.]

No comments: