Friday, November 10, 2006

(lxxii.)

The emergency room's waiting room seemed strangely quiet. Perhaps it was the fact that the Television had a large Out of Order sign taped to it. Perhaps it was the fact that they were among only four people in the room. Or perhaps it was the fact that it was 5:23 in the morning.

Either way, it seemed unnaturally quiet for a hospital waiting room.


"Y'know, I gotta admit..." Lorelei started, and then kinda trailed off.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, no, it... nevermind..."
"What?"
"...nah, it... it's not important."
"...okay."

There was a pause.

"I think I was gonna ask why you cared so hard."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I... it's just... anyone else would've bailed on me by now."
"...it... it's 'cause we're friends."

Lorelei stared at Midge, incredulously.

"What?"

One of the other people in that waiting room started coughing.

"Friends," Midge said, "y'know, those people you hang out with afterschool, and get drunk with in the middle of the woods, and share your deepest, darkest, most embarassing secrets with... y'know what I mean, right?"

Lorelei stammered for a moment. "I, uh, I- I-- um..." she paused, "right. Sure I do," she said, half-heartedly, as she stared at the floor.

There was an uncomfortably long silence.

"Do you really mean to say that anyone else would've bailed out on you?"
"Well, I dunno. I mean, Pierpont would'nt've. But, y'know, we've done some crazy shit. I mean, if he were in a jam, he'd know I'd be there for him, and, and I'm here, and he'd be here for me."

Midge nodded.

"Anyone else? At all?"
"Well, maybe Svetlana. But, even then, we're not really that close, I don't think. I mean, there's always been this speculation that she secretly worked for the Joint Commission--"
"--would it have mattered if she did?"
"...Well, think about it. If she was willing to lie about who's side she was on, what else was she willing to lie about? It goes back to that you can't be my friend you're 'cause you're really her friend thing from elementary school. I mean, I can't really explain it any better than that--"
"Yeah. I guess that makes sense."
"Yup."

There was a pause.

"You've never actually talked about, um, whats-her-face, before."
"Yeah. Like I said, we're not really that close. Besides, I think she may have been arrested. Which may or may not have been a cover. I dunno."
"Sooo, your only friends are your boss, and some other chick who might be your enemy but you're not sure?"
"Right. And you."

Midge stared at Lorelei. "I... you... I don't... should I be scared, or honored?"

Lorelei smiled.

"Yes."


[chapter lxxiii.]

No comments: